The D.C. Guerilla Gardeners are at it again, but this time we're taking our sneaky guerilla green thumbs to the SE corner of the District. Grab your shovel and join us on Sunday, May 9, 2010, at the intersection of K Street SE at New Jersey Avenue SE. We're turning a mucky overgrown corner into, well... an unmucky, undergrown corner. Also, it will be pretty. And healthy. And generally nicer all around.
Sunday is Mother's Day, which means I could technically pull the Mother Earth card - see how I did that? - but I won't. Instead I shall suggest that you bring your mom to the event! Guerilla gardening is a great way to bond with your mum. There's no better way to say, "I love you, mom," than by pulling up weeds and sifting through urban detritus.
- What: The SECOND-EVER D.C. Guerilla Gardeners Event! Woo-to-the-2!
- When: Sunday, May 9, 2010
- Time: 10am to Noon-ish
- Where: K Street SE at New Jersey Avenue SE
- Metro: Location is two blocks north of the Navy Yard Metro stop on the Green Line.
- Bring: Your preferred garden tools, gloves (gardening and/or plastic to avoid the ick), a 1-quart plant (preferably Mid-Atlantic native perennial) or seeds to include in the project. Plants should resist drought, tolerate partial shade to full sun, and thrive in poor soil with inadequate drainage. If you are unable to bring a plant but still want to participate, no problem! Enthusiasm is the DCGG's only requirement.
- RSVP: If you're so inclined, let D.C. Guerilla Gardeners know you're coming so that we can be sure to bring enough snacks. But this time? NO OREOS. For reals.
The Site - K Street SE at New Jersey Avenue SEEvent Flyer - PDF version available by request.
Want to join in the guerilla fun? SURE YOU DO! Don't be shy, just come on by. Gardening experience is not required.